Sunday, July 26, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - #88 Karen Schroeder

Karen Schroeder
karenschroeder@coupeville.net
654 La Fiest, Coupeville, Wa 98239

Type of artwork – what medium, how is it classified? Soft pastels, oil bars and mixed media

How long have you been an artist? 15 years

Artist’s Statement: 15 years ago I started painting landscapes and seascapes full time with soft pastels on Wallis sanded pastel paper Painting nearly every day, visiting galleries, reading art books and taking workshops is my art training. In addition to pastels I am using oil bars and mixed media in a more abstract way, and maintain a landscape quality in the finished work.

What is interesting and distinctive about you and your artwork?
I am considered an intuitive painter which allows me to paint loose and without a lot of detail.

Why do you create? What are you passionate about? I have always loved nature and paint how I feel about nature and try to show the beauty in the everyday texture and shapes displayed.

What projects are you currently working on? Any upcoming shows? Currently painting for the Karlson Grey Gallery in Langley and the Serendipity Gallery in La Conner.

What will guests see you doing at your studio during the Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour (OST)?
They will find over 100 landscape and abstract paintings. Most will be on sale 25% to 50% off in order to lower my inventory. My studio will be set up to give them an idea how pastel paintings are created.

Choose a piece that you will have for sale on the OST and describe why you created it, your feelings when you created it, and the process you went through. I really do not think about how I feel when I paint. It is just a response to what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment