Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - #15 Andrea Comsky

Andrea Comsky #15 on the Tour
http://www.comskyphotography.com/
info@comskyphotography.com
2785 Nightfall Lane
Clinton, WA 98236












"Deer Lagoon"

Type of artwork – what medium, how is it classified?
Fine art photography. Colour landscape with no digital manipulation. Artist only works with film.

How long have you been an artist?
I began as a professional musician as a young child. I have been involved in the professional arts for over 50 years. I have been a professional photographer for 11 years.

Artist’s Statement:
As both musician and photographer, I find that composing a photograph materializes when a moment converges visually, musically, and emotionally. The arts are intertwined both in my life and in my creative work, and it is this intersection of medium- visual, musical, and literary, that is woven into the images.

What is interesting and distinctive about you and your artwork?
I only work with film and do not digitally manipulate the photographs. Music and literature serve as inspirations and fuels the intention behind each image. I specialize in colour photography of remote locations with an emphasis on distant, isolated landscapes and surreal seascapes, from the haunting moors and island of Great Britain, to the outposts of Antarctica. I particularly capturing winter light conditions.

Why do you create? What are you passionate about?
As music can evoke an emotional response, so too can images resonate feelings. When performing a concert, I want to move the listener and to convey the composer’s feelings through my interpretation. Similarly, I hope to portray my feeling of a landscape through my photographic compositions, which are illuminated not only by the landscape itself, but also by the music that inspires me. I am passionate about life. I feel that it is the ultimate gift to be accorded a human life with all of the senses to perceive it. I am grateful for the opportunity to discover, to inhale, and to capture this most beautiful Earth in images and to share , through the many textures of sight and sound, my view of our magnificent planet.

What will guests see you doing at your studio during the Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour (OST)?
Discussing the influence of music in my work as a visual artist.

Choose a piece that you will have for sale on the OST and describe why you created it, your feelings when you created it, and the process you went through.
“Deer Lagoon” was created when I was commissioned to do a series on Whidbey Island and I was first discovering the island. This image was taken during unusual weather and light conditions and I was quite moved by the area and the perspective. I was quite alone in that place and felt that I had discovered a beautiful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment