Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - #9 Zia Gipson


Zia Gipson
http://www.ziagipson.com/
zia@whidbey.net
3465 E. French, Clinton, WA

Type of artwork – what medium, how is it classified?
Mixed Media

How long have you been an artist?
Since the 1970s

Artist’s statement:
Fiber art and mixed media
Much of my work during 2008 has been an exploration of gicleé printing (pigment ink prints from a digital source) of my altered photographs onto hand marbled watercolor paper . These prints are finished with collage and surface pigments. In addition I make work using surface design techniques on fabric of all kinds including handmade felt. A love of color is a unifying element in my work. Nature is a consistent inspiration.

What is interesting and distinctive about you and your artwork?
It combines the a very old craft tradition (marbling on paper and cloth) with a very new one (digital manipulations and printing).

Why do you create? What are you passionate about?
Art has always been the organizing principle around which I live my life. The creative process, whether experienced solo or in a group, is something I crave. I believe that real magic happens in the creative moment. My art subjects come from nature and the world around me, the process comes from the spirit.

What projects are you currently working on? Any upcoming shows?
Four shows coming up....Penn Cove in late Fall 2009, Museum of Quilt and Textile Art Spring 2010, Show and Sale at Bayview's Open Door Gallery + Coffee July 2010, and more!

What will guests see you doing at your studio during the Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour (OST)?
Talking about feltmaking and demonstrating the process.

Describe the process you go through to create your artwork:

I take a picture of something, alter it using Photoshop and save it. I will print it out later.
I then treat paper I plan to marble and later print on with alum, let it dry, put it in the heat press. Then I prepare a marbling bath of methylcellulose, marble the paper, let it dry, put it in the heat press again. I then print the image created originally onto the hand marbled paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment