Thursday, July 30, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - #81 Mary Burks


Mary Burks
Email: maryburks@verizon.net
http://www.blogger.com/www.maryburks.com
60 N. Willard Way, Coupeville WA 98239
Type of artwork: Textiles
Length of time: 12 years
Artist statement: Fiber is a very accessible medium. It is all around us. Fiber especially engulfs women. We wash it. We sweep it. We wear it. We look through it. We iron it. We sit on it. As a woman, it is natural to be interested in using fibers creatively - stretching the normal use of fiber, by using its physical properties aesthetically. Thematically I am exploring micro and macro landscapes, both physical and mental, and the natural world. Textiles and I continue to have a daily dialog about these themes.

What is distinctive about my artwork? My use of color and texture in the creation of beautiful cloth.

Why do I create? I create because I can't help it--whether it is in the studio, the garden, or in planning an event. Bringing harmony out of chaos fills me with joy and makes me feel alive.

Current projects: I am experimenting with new textiles and yarns, creating cloth that has texture using "new millenium" fibers.

What will guests see during the tour? They will find me at the loom weaving or making felt (artists need some leeway) and there will be samples of new yarns and felted, woven and dyed textiles to play with.

One particular piece for sale on OST: The work in the photograph online is fleted--wool laminated to nylon, and is entitled "Crossing Over." It is part of a series "I Felt Like It." I wanted to play with light-weight felt as an art form. The series took a year to produce--there are 15 pieces. I will also have light-weight felted scarves--very thin layers of luxurious merino wool laminated to silk--available for purchase--Perfect for the Pacific Northwest climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment