Monday, August 10, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - #70 James Moore

1088 Crockett Farm Road, Coupeville, WA

Type of artwork – what medium, how is it classified? Oil
How long have you been an artist? 10 years
Artist’s Statement: I paint because I like discovering something’s unique beauty, as I see it, and then capturing my feelings about it in paint.
What is interesting and distinctive about you and your artwork? I paint whatever strikes me as beauty, rather than being typecast as only painting one subject. If I am struck by the beauty in a carton of eggs, a picnic table, or a rock, then I will paint it. And what makes it unique, say my collectors, is that they can recognize from across the room, that James Moore painted it. The emotion is there and the brushwork is distinctive and varied.
Why do you create? What are you passionate about? I paint because I see a lot of beauty around me and I have something to say about it with paint. It is more about the process, the actual pushing paint around that is so enjoyable. I really am having fun in the act of picking up the paint, mixing it as little as possible, and then making the stroke. It is work, in the sense that you have to concentrate, and plan, but it is also fun.
What projects are you currently working on? Any upcoming shows? I just finished a series of ballerinas for the Pacific Northwest Ballet show. Then I did a series on “rhythm” for Gallery San Juan. Next I am painting a wine related series…I like wine, and my first wine painting in the series was a demonstration painting at Holmes Harbor Cellars which is now on display in their tasting room on Whidbey Island. September 8-12 I am competing in the 4th Annual Plein Air Painters' U.S. Open on Whidbey Island.
What will guests see you doing at your studio during the Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour (OST)? There will be a painting in progress and I will demonstrate how I approach my subject. I will paint and discuss the brushwork. Finished paintings will be shown as well where I will discuss what attracted me to the scene, why I wanted to paint it, and what I felt during the process, and any problems that had to be resolved to make the painting a success in my eyes.
Choose a piece that you will have for sale on the OST and describe why you created it, your feelings when you created it, and the process you went through.
I am a photographer for the Classic Car Club, and I really appreciate the beauty of some of these old cars. Recently, I was particularly struck by a yellow 1936 Packard. What first hit me was the yellow. Then I remembered that my wife has many times remarked about reading Nancy Drew books as a girl and hearing about Nancy Drew’s yellow Packard Roadster Convertible which she says was 1935-36.

Well, the car I saw was not a convertible, but it was gorgeous, and recently restored. It had a huge hood, massive round front fenders, exterior headlights, and side mounted spare tires. Swooping lines from the fenders down to the running board drew the eye from front to back. The car was so shiny, everything reflected in its paint. I painted it with great admiration for both the car and the owner who took such care in its restoration. The feeling I had was one of reverence and adoration for its classic beauty.

In terms of process, I had to make a change from my usual “jump right into the paint” style of painting. That is, I usually do NOT do a line drawing of the subject and then color it in with paint, the way a child would in a coloring book. But in this case, the drawing had to be precise, even though my brushwork is loose and soft edged. Without precise drawing, the proportions might not be just right and it would be obvious. Plus, once I got the drawing correct, then that was out of the way, and I could enjoy the act of painting, which is where the real fun is for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment