Saturday, August 15, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - #38 Lloyd Whannell

Lloyd Whannell
lwhannell@yahoo.com
1660 Roberta Ave. Freeland Wa.
Type of artwork – what medium, how is it classified? Mostly stone sculpture and some bronze sculpture, mostly figurative and some functional, ie.sinks, tables, water basins
How long have you been an artist? Stone sculpting for 16 years, ceramics for 3 years before that.
Artist’s Statement: I have been working in stone for about 16 years. My functional stone work includes sinks, tables, countertops, water basins, and fountains. My current figurative work is a tall figure series called “Silent Watchers,” which draws it’s inspiration from a 3rd century B.C. Etruscan bronze figurine called “Ombra della Sera” or Shadow of the Evening. This tall, thin figure series expresses the feelings of serenity and peacefulness, using a variety of different stones. A further evolution of the “Silent Watcher” series uses cast bronze coupled with stone. This combination of bronze and stone is also used in my newest series called “Silent Words…” This piece continues the expression of serenity and peacefulness coupled with the beauty, strength, and self assurance of the bare human head. This piece is the portrayal of the poem I wrote which inspired it:
Silent words
spoken to the night sky
reflected by the stars
and heard in the hearts
of those with silent minds

"Silent Words 3" has been purchased by the town of LaConner, and the local merchants have taken to dressing her in various flowing headscarves.
What is interesting and distinctive about you and your artwork? I am constantly trying new approaches with my sculpture, and combining limited edition bronze heads with my one of a kind stone bodies is my most recent endevor.
Why do you create? What are you passionate about? I enjoy the process of trying to create beautiful things, an elegance to a functional sink, or a feeling of silence in a figure. To constantly push my boundaries is my passion.
What projects are you currently working on? Any upcoming shows? I am currently working on several projects. A 9 foot tall figure as the next in my Silent Words series, a memorial monument, and ongoing granite countertop work.
What will guests see you doing at your studio during the Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour (OST)? I will probably still be sculpting on my new figure, doing the final assembly on the memorial, and show some of the larger tools in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment