Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - #1 Beth Wyatt

Beth Wyatt
http://www.bethwyatt.com/
bjwyatt@whidbey.com
8186 Mossy Rock Road Clinton, Wa 98236
Richard Engstrom (husband) and I share a 2 story studio building on our property, which contains separate ceramics, metalsmithing, painting and photography studios.

Type of artwork – what medium, how is it classified? I work in metals and vitreous enameling, as well as ceramics and digital print & painted collage on paper. I will be featuring Art Jewelry in mixed metals and enameling for the tour, and my demonstration this year will include Collage work from digital print photos of the jewelry.

How long have you been an artist? I began as an art student at San Diego State University, in 1974. I set up my first studio, on Whidbey Island, in 1980. I feel my quality of mind has always defined to what extent I am an “artist”.

Artist’s Statement: I approach my jewelry as wearable art--intimate sculpture achieved primarily through fabrication, and celebrating the visual impact of organic form, structure and texture. Starting with raw materials in the form of sterling silver or gold sheet, wire and tubing, I dap, saw, bend and solder into being a unique population of metal components which lay ready in my studio, like old friends and potent actors, waiting to acquire their role in the play of design. I find this process delightfully addicting. With vitreous enameling, I play with incredible color, and encounter the element of surprise and the drama of unpredictability, as glass fuses to metal, in a glowing kiln, in under 4 minutes. It is a perfect balance to the sense of control these materials give to a designer.

What is interesting and distinctive about you and your artwork?
I think my careful use of dynamic organic forms and complex textures adds interest and distinctiveness to my art jewelry. The over-firing techniques I employ with layered enameling which lead to agate-like patterns seem to have great appeal.

Why do you create? What are you passionate about? I love the design process and am addicted to losing myself within the intense dialogue between materials and experimental technique. Organic forms and textures continually entice me into new design directions.

What projects are you currently working on? Any upcoming shows? I have recently juried into "Metal-URGE", Tacoma, as the featured enamel jewelry artist in the Museum of Glass store, from July 13th to August 19th 2009. I was on hand for “Meet the Artist” day, on July 18th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The City of Tacoma is presenting Metal-URGE from June 2- September 19, 2009. The event will bring dozens of artists and more than twenty venues ogether to showcase some of the Northwest's incredible metal art. This will coincide with two Tacoma Art Museum exhibitions, "Ornament as Art" and "Loud Bones". I’ve also received a repeat invitation to contribute art jewelry to the 8th annual "PONCHO Invitational Fine Art Auction", to be held at the Sheraton Seattle Hotel, October 3rd 2009.

What will guests see you doing at your studio during the Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour (OST)? I will have for viewing photo documentation of the design process of a piece of art jewelry, probably a complex, mixed metal necklace, which then becomes the digital design element of a mixed media collage. I will be using Photoshop to transform digital photos of the necklace into beginning design elements, to be used for a collage which will incorporate ink jet prints, acrylic painting, and a wide variety of other 2 dimensional materials applied to paper or board.

No comments:

Post a Comment