Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - #86 Bev McQuary

Bev McQuary
bevmcq@gmail.com
http://bevmcquary.coupdart.com/
Ann’s Coup d’Art, 902 Center, Coupeville

Type of artwork – what medium, how is it classified?
I make lampworked glass beads and wire worked jewelry.

How long have you been an artist? 20 years. From 1988 to 1998 I was the Registrar at Pratt Fine Art Center in Seattle, surrounded by creative juices. Lampworking was a new medium to Pratt and when equipment was acquired, I had the opportunity to learn the process with some wonderful artists. I got my own torch and equipment and played at a hobby level until I retired and could focus full time on this fascinating discipline.

Artist’s Statement: In arts administration I was able to observe how the creative process affected artists. In creating glass beads, I experience the “left brain/right brain” transition in the creative process first-hand. Glass beadmaking involves melting colorful soda-lime glass rods around a mandrel with a propane/oxygen torch and then embellishing them. The combination of color and techniques, while maintaining control of hot glass, is an exciting dance on an incredibly small palette that takes me out of myself and into the moment.

What is interesting and distinctive about you and your artwork? I am a 68 year old artist. I get to play with fire, and it keeps me off the streets…

Why do you create? What are you passionate about? I love learning and keeping my head in the game of life. The scale of my work is so small, yet the possibilities of color combinations and embellishments are infinite. When I open the kiln after annealing the beads, it’s like Christmas morning, getting to see the actuality of my focus of attention. The process is a true meditation. Then the next step is to envision showcasing a stunning bead in a wire-worked design and making it so.

What projects are you currently working on? Any upcoming shows? Showing work at the Lavender & Wind Festival, August 8 & 9, 2009,
http://www.lavenderwind.com/events/LWartshow.html.
I also show my work at the Garry Oak Gallery, the artist co-operative in Oak Harbor, WA,
http://www.garryoakgallery.com/

What will guests see you doing at your studio during the Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour (OST)? I will demonstrate the glass beadmaking process on the torch, including forming, shaping, and embellishing beads with the use of stringers, silver leaf, and various tools. I can also show some wire-working techniques.

Choose a piece that you will have for sale on the OST and describe why you created it, your feelings when you created it, and the process you went through.
My piece, “Hangin’ ‘Round”, evolved from a bead made with dark ivory glass, lentil-shaped, and decorated with white, black and amber dots. I loved the result so I created a necklace made with fused fine silver circles and Byzantine weave chain. The bead hangs at the throat and I am thrilled with the totality of the creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment