Sunday, August 23, 2009

Meet the Artists on the Tour - # 25 Gary Schallock

by Sherrye Wyatt

Gary Schallock
idoart@ymail.com
2589 Traverse Road, Langley, WA

Type of artwork – what medium, how is it classified? Paintings in watercolor, variety of subject matter.

How long have you been an artist? I declared art as my major in college in the 60’s. I have worked in a wide variety of mediums over the years, but have been primarily working in watercolors since 2001.

Artist’s Statement: I am dedicated to growing as an artist. I believe an artist must be proactive, and continue to grow and mature. Artists should routinely step out of their comfort zone and experiment with new subject matter, methods, and materials. An ongoing pursuit of art education is essential to personal growth. The proactive artist will continually take classes and workshops, and look for professional growth opportunities.

What is interesting and distinctive about you and your artwork? I paint in an expressive style taking a lot of liberty with my subject. I use bright “arbitrary” color, interesting textures and most of all, expressive calligraphic brush work.

Why do you create? What are you passionate about? Because I can! It’s a huge part of who I am. While being very average in most things, I excel at art and it gives me a lot of pleasure to share my art ability with others.

What projects are you currently working on? Any upcoming shows? Working on paintings. Will have shows in the spring. I will be offering workshops.

What will guests see you doing at your studio during the Whidbey Island Open Studio Tour (OST)? Demonstrations upon request.

Choose a piece that you will have for sale on the OST and describe why you created it, your feelings when you created it, and the process you went through.
“Sundance on Puget Sound” is a ship in a boatyard and is a favorite subject. My plan was to create a painting with bright, patchy colors with a simplified image and expressive brushwork (calligraphic strokes). I think that cheery and well-crafted paintings are uplifting. I feel like I achieved what I aimed for, so was pleased with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment